Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Good bye to my amigos at NeighborWorks

HERE'S WHAT I SHARED WITH MY PEERS AT NEIGHBORWORKS WHEN THEY WERE GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO DO A GATHERING FOR ME


I don’t want to bore you with a tear-jerking good bye, but I will.


I promise it’d be brief… But remember that I am the guy who’s been known to have facilitated two three hour conference calls back to back.


You know, if I try to thank everyone that has taught what it means to be ‘neighborworks’, we’d be here a long time… So, I’ll just try to share some of the collective wisdom I’ve gained through the years by sharing with you one very simple technique I use to connect to the people we serve.


Almost everyday, but certainly when I travel – and God knows we do that enough – I try to ‘get in the mood’ of our work by imagining that the people I share whatever space I am in are the people we serve… Here’s what I mean:


The folks in the train; the entertainers at Metro station; our homeless friends on G Street; the cab-driver; the guy that checks our baggage at the airport; the lady that checks our i.d.; the young person that works at the fast food joint; the dude that cleans the airplane; and, most personally connected to me: the housekeeping crews at the hotels we stay and the crews that clean our tables and serve our meals… When I see these folks, I visualize them as homeowners, renters, and neighborhood residents of the communities we serve… I always make it a point to share with them a sincere ‘thanks’ – or just as often, ‘gracias’… It is these amigos that are struggling to make ends meet, to get that downpayment together… Indeed, I all too well remember that when my brother bought his first home in 1982 he was short for his downpayment by about $350. Geraldina (my wife) lent him the money she had saved up to buy her college books for the upcoming semester… [Come to think of it, I am not sure he ever paid her back… But that is another story.]


I say that I particularly relate to the housekeeping and banquet folks because many of my aunts and uncles did this work as they became established; and my own father was a janitor for years… As he got old, I’d go help him in the wee hours so he wouldn’t have to work so hard… And, I myself did my fare share of flipping Krystal hamburgers and even did a short stint as a day laborer…


So, I can never ever forget where I come from… Because it is my aunts, uncles, cousins and amigos – and countless others like them - that we now serve… And, it is simply a joy – indeed, sometimes I wonder “I got paid for this”? – it is a joy to be part of the NeighborWorks familia… I pray – yes I do that – that this institution will forever remain committed to having a staff team that ‘gets it’… A staff team that looks – and most important, feels – like the communities we serve…


May our stories continue, and see you in Silver Spring,


Gracias, enJoy & God Bless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You will be so missed within the network, thanks for all the giving, sharing and laughter that you provided us. You have been an incredibly good friend to us, a constant supporter. So we look forward to continuing our relationship in new and different ways.